Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing Alone was RE: Safe Climbing

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing Alone was RE: Safe Climbing
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:28:01 -0500
I did a lot of climbing alone over the years.  Only way to solve that problem
was a divorce and find a new wife who was more supportive of my hobby!   ;-)

Although I always free-climbed in the past I have started being much more
careful and use fall arrest gear, claiming it is for safety when, in
fact, it is
as much to mask the fact that I don't climb nearly as fast as I used to!    ;-)

Each time I stop to re-hook the fall arrest gear gives my knees a chance to
get reset for the next few steps!

Last time I climbed my 170 ft rotating tower in CO with an audience (K0RF)
Chuck commented that I was not as fast as I once was but that at least I
did not stop along the way to catch my breath!  Thank goodness for the guy
rings.  They are a real PITA to get around but at least they give you a little
break every 40 ft!   ;-)

--John  W0UN