Re: [TowerTalk] Safe Climbing was Re: Roswell Tower Accident

To: JoeCoolDXer <joecooldxer@msn.com>,Kelly Johnson <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>,TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>,Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Safe Climbing was Re: Roswell Tower Accident
From: Wayne Kline <w3ea@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 09:01:14 -0400

> From: JoeCoolDXer@msn.com> To: n6kj.kelly@gmail.com;
> towertalk@contesting.com; n4zr@contesting.com> Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007
> 01:26:10 -0700> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Safe Climbing was Re: Roswell Tower
> Accident> > Most of the posts in this thread deal with climbing equipment and
> technique. Another issue in climbing safety concerns
carelessness/misjudgement due to prior consumption of alcohol, medications,
"substances", sleep deprivation, etc...> >  In the many towers jobs  I have
been or the Antenna Party's I helped at, I have never witnessed  Alcohol
present during construction or erection. I can not fathom the mixing of the
two.  I can not speak for anyone elce But there are few Tower  / Antenna
projects/Maintenance ect that are One man jobs , ( It's not a good practice of
climbing when your alone ) I would be Long Gone....if  Drinking ect were part
of the Mix.

 Again many good points have been raised, It's unfortunate that the event to
make people me included focused on the obvious.
30ft or 300ft. Think B-4 you act.  I am  guilty  you bet I am guilty as
charged. Just last week while troubleshooting my 20mt stack. I left the shack
walked past my shop where are not one but three Safety belt Harness ect. and
free climbed to the 42ft  box level. Hooking my leg inside the Rohn 65 brace
to my inside knee and putting my left arm through the tower leg  holding me
against with my forearm as I switched the feed lines with my Right hand...it
was while  I was marking the feed lines with phase tape that I said to my self
" WTF am  I doing , What Was I thinking ? The truth I was not...I was in a
hurry with failing day light to ring out the feed lines and this is how
accidents happen. You just don't think. .Your in a hurry and take things for
granted .
 On another note  I can't find it, but it was a article with graphs  on fatal
tower rigging/erection accidents. it's one fact that stuck with me was that a
alarming majority of human Error accidents occurred not on ascending or working
in position  but while  De sending !  IMHO where your tired, thirsty, and want
to get the day done.

Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Café. Stop by
today.