Re: [TowerTalk] Question re Sky Needle rotor cage (Update)

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Question re Sky Needle rotor cage (Update)
From: "Dr. James C. Garland" <4cx250b@muohio.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 07:15:52 -0700
Many thanks to all you who wrote with suggestions about the chain drive on
my Tashjian Sky-Needle tower. However, as it turned out the problem I'm
having isn't the rotator chain drive. I went up on the tower yesterday
afternoon and discovered that the chain is still tight, but that the tubular
top section of the tower has too much play.

The tower is designed so that a a vertical guide key on the top tubular
section slides in a slotted flange that is welded to the top plate of the
next lower section. The purpose of the key and slot is to keep the top tube
from rotating.  On my tower, the slotted flange was not positioned properly
and is not engaging the key properly. I'm not sure how I'll fix it. Ideally,
I should grind away the welds, position the flange correctly, and then
reweld it to the plate, but that's not easy to do up in the air.

Thanks again for all who suggested info re the chain drive. One day I'm sure
that information will be helpful, and I've filed it away.

73,

Jim W8ZR