Re: [TowerTalk] XM-240 and KT-36XA Interaction

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] XM-240 and KT-36XA Interaction
From: "Tony Brock-Fisher" <barockteer@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 21:31:38 -0500
I have a KT-36XA 9 feet above a 40-2CD. I have noticed a serious interaction
between the two - specifically, the SWR on 40 goes above 3:1 when the XA boom
is parallel to the elements of the 40 - i.e. the booms are 90 degrees to each
other. I have not noticed any problems on 10-20 on the XA. I used to have the
same setup with the KT-34XA and don't recall having the problem, so I suspect
it is caused by the fact that on the '36, the parasitic elements are grounded
to the boom by metal boom-element clamps, and this makes the boom resonant on
40. In my setup, the XA is on top, and the 40 is on a swinging-gate mount, so
they are independantly rotatable. If I really need to, I can rotate the XA to
fix the problem - but this would not be a good solution for multi-op. I think
if you mount them on the same mast, with the booms  parallel, there should not
be a problem. Anybody have a ferrite bead choke with an ID of 3 inches?

-Tony, K1KP