Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical vs Beam

To: "'Richards'" <jruing@ameritech.net>, "'K4SAV'" <RadioIR@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical vs Beam
From: "W0MU Mike Fatchett" <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 12:10:28 -0600
On the high bands the beams usually win out over my verticals but not
always.  I think much of it has to do with the incoming angle of the signal.
The verticals are always noisier.  I wish I had the money for tall towers
and beams for 80 and 160 though.

I would take a 2 or 3 ele beam at 30 or 40 ft for the high bands.  If you
are concerned about size, check out the new SteppIR's DB-18's.

For 80m you might be better off with a bent type vertical if you are allowed
a decent sized tower or support.  You still need the radials of course.

CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
W0MU.NET or  67.40.148.194

never get over." Ben Franklin