Re: [TowerTalk] Insulators

To: n8de@thepoint.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Insulators
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 14:21:59 -0700
n8de@thepoint.net wrote:
> FYI:
>
> I discovered a new source for insulator material that I will be using
> on my 80m tower verticals.
>
> At the local 'feed store', I found 1+1/4" fiberglass ROD with a few
> small pre-drilled holes ... it's designed to be used as an electric
> fence post.  The rod is VERY STRONG and should hold up quite well.
>
> The cost for a 6' rod is about $6 .... quite inexpensive.  Cutting it
> into 6+" lengths is quite easy.

I used to use a lot of structural fiberglass in various forms. Whatever
you cut or drill with will get dull very quickly when working with glass
composites.. The glass is quite hard (harder than the steel in your
cutting blades).

If you have a diamond grit blade that works real well (like a tile saw).
  A carbide toothed blade works fairly well, too. An abrasive cutter
also works, but is messy, melts the plastic matrix, and makes dust to
boot (which as was pointed out, is nasty stuff).

Don't contemplate taking a 6 foot rod and hacking it into 6"
insulators.. the rod might be cheap, but the sharpening costs or new
blades won't be.

I haven't tried it, but cutting it with a shear, axe, or tree branch
loppers might actually be a better strategy, since it would tend to
"cleave" the glass fibers, and it's easier to sharpen the blade when it
gets dull.