Re: [TowerTalk] Insulators

To: K1TTT <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Insulators
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 07:25:38 -0700
K1TTT wrote:
> That link I gave was for white.  And what are the rf characteristics of
> electric fence fiberglass anyway?

Unknown, probably varies from batch to batch, but realistically, might
not make any difference.

I don't know that I'd use it as a dielectric in a tuning stub, or a
substrate for a transmission line, but for run of the mill "insulating"
applications (e.g. to hold something up, spreader for balanced line,
etc.) I think the RF properties aren't going to be all that important.

It's probably no worse than wood.

One way to test is to wind an air core coil, resonate the coil at your
operating frequency, measure the Q.  Then shove the material under test
into the coil and see how much the Q degrades.

This technique is used for things like measuring moisture content of
lumber or soil.