Re: [TowerTalk] what not to do in your tower

To: ve3gsi@canada.com, "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] what not to do in your tower
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 21:41:33 -0400

Eric - VE3GSI wrote:
> What is the proper way?

ROHN makes a guy bracket that fits around the tower. They consist of 3
bars about 1/4" thick and around an inch or inch and a quarter wide for
the 25G. They are bigger for the 45G.  These sections are held together
by some substantial bolts with a bushing over them (on the 45). The guy
thimble fits over these, or there is a heavy duty link (looks like a
single chain link) than can go from the bushing to the thimble.  These
have the advantage of removing the side pull of the guy on the tower as
the bracket takes the side loads from the guys. Of course the vertical
load still translates to the tower.

I'm not so sure if guying off the top plate is permissible, but if so,
then a ( safety wired) clevis through the guy wire spindle would be the
proper connection. In his case there should at least be a safety wire as
strong as the guy through all of those links from the guy thimble to the
top plate.  The same is true for turnbuckles. They should have a safety
cable around them so if they come apart the only thing that happens is
the guy tension slacks off a bit.

73

Roger (K8RI)