Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rods

To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rods
From: "Tommy Alderman" <aldermant@windstream.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 15:14:11 -0500
Dan,

This past August I put 27 of the 8 ft 5/8" copper clad steel rods into the
very hard south Georgia red clay using a rented 'ground rod hammer' The
first hammer I got from the rental store pounded the rods very easily for
the first four feet and then it stopped! Going back to the rental store,
they knew what the problem was - they had given me an 18-lb hammer but
because I was dealing with hard packed red clay, I needed at 26-lb (force)
hammer. That one pounded the rods the rest of the way into the ground with
very little trouble.

I had dug 3 each, 6" deep, 70' long trenches in the ground and made sure the
head of each rod would be about an inch under ground. I then had a local
welding company come out and silver solder #4 solid copper wire to each rod
and up to my tower base. The silver soldering cost was only a few dollars
cheaper that cad weld.

161,
Tom - W4BQF