Re: [TowerTalk] Fractal Antennas, Chip Cohen (N1IR) on Nova Last Night

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fractal Antennas, Chip Cohen (N1IR) on Nova Last Night
From: Andy <ai.egrps@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 01:14:27 -0500
>   It raises a
> red flag for me when I see someone making an end run around established
> technical journals and going to the general media, such as NOVA.

Not to defend N1IR (or did you mean W1YW ?), but ...

Nova is produced in Boston, and Fractal Antenna Systems is a few miles
away in Waltham, MA.  It could simply be that the Nova producers were
making the program about fractals, and one of them said, "let's
contact this Fractal Antenna company and see if they have something we
can use."

I don't know squat about the company but I don't hear a lot about
them.  Perhaps they are maintaining a low profile and it was NPR that
contacted them, that's all I'm saying.

But it's been a couple years since I saw that particular Nova (if I
even saw it then).

On the other hand, a good PR department will gladly go to the general
media and never consider publishing in the established technical
journals.  That's what the engineers are supposed to be doing, if
there is something worth telling.

Andy