Re: [TowerTalk] methods of using conduit in the ground for cables

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] methods of using conduit in the ground for cables
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 04:17:56 -0400
On 4/6/2011 12:06 AM, Dick Flanagan wrote:
> Weep holes are a great idea, but I suggest you also line the bottom
> of the trench with gravel so the drained water has a place to go.

Remember than in many areas of the country/world that many areas have
the water table with inches of the surface at least part of the year.  I
use no weep holes in the current conduit as from the time the snow melts
  (Late March or early April) until around June the water table is just
below the surface so my one conduit at 6" deep is completely under
water.  This part of the yard along with most of the back yard is of
heavy clay/Lome and would soon fill the conduit with a fine clay if
given drain holes through which to enter.  Once dry in the summer that
clay would be like concrete and it would be impossible to pull cables in
or out.    OTOH the one running from the tower to the house (75 to 85
feet) runs most of the way through the sand back fill around the
basement.  That one is 5" plastic sewer pipe (or was) and had lots of
drain holes.  It is now 4" PVC and has a few drain holes at the low
spots in the sand.

Conditions and techniques to work with those conditions vary widely

73

Roger (KI8RI)