Re: [TowerTalk] slightly OT - Wattmeter suggestion?

To: TowerTalk <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] slightly OT - Wattmeter suggestion?
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 09:45:10 -0400
Charlie, I don't believe that you need a peak-reader at all.  A few
things you can do.

1.  Begin your tune-up at reduced output from the radio.  Go to full
drive only for the final touch-up.
2.  Keep your key-down periods short and let the tubes cool for an equal
interval.
3.  Send a string of fast dots while tuning; your Bird will display an
average value due to meter mechanics but the duty cycle will be about 50
percent, which is nice to the tubes.

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com,