Re: [TowerTalk] Ham Radio in Movie

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ham Radio in Movie
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 09:39:41 -0800
On 3/8/12 12:39 PM, Larry Boekeloo wrote:
> Maybe this has been discussed before?????
>
> Last evening I saw the beginning of "National Lampoon's Vacation" movie
> starring Chevy Chase and made in 1983.  When Chevy Chase purchases his new
> green Ford station wagon and drives it home for the first time, the camera
> shows him pulling into a circular driveway in the front of the home and
> clearly shows the neighbor with about a 70 or 80 foot telescoping tower with
> a large tribander on top.
>
> This is suppose to be in or near Chicago.  Does anyone know where this is and
> who the ham is next door?
>
> Just curious

IMDB shows a whole raft of locations.  It could be anywhere, including
the Warner lot (putting up a tower with an antenna temporarily wouldn't
be a big deal for a set builder).

Location shoots are a pain, so if there was very much action in and
around the exterior of the house, it was probably shot on the lot.

Most of the locations in the movie are in and around Los Angeles. (check
the IMDB trivia page).

That said, 25+ years ago, I saw a not very wonderful horror movie called
"The Anguish", shot in Spain, and they built a set that EXACTLY
recreated a street from Mar Vista (near Venice and Santa Monica, CA),
including the hardware store I used to go to (B&B hardware, 2450 West
Washington Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA..see it on Google maps).  In the
movie, the run out of a movie theater and the hardware store is across
the street. There is no movie theater across the street (in fact, now,
there's a vacant lot there)  I figured at first that it was just B-roll
footage or reverse projected on a screen behind the talent, but I asked
the actress and she said, nope, they built a set in Spain that
duplicated it.