Re: [TowerTalk] If you had a choice

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] If you had a choice
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 08:09:51 -0500
A cautious word of defense on Mosley...the PRO series was definitely not the
top performing tribander in the tests (www.championradio.com) but they are
built like tanks (that also means they are very heavy antennas) and do stand up
to the elements, particularly ice loading.  The Mosleys would probably also
benefit from decoupling the feedline shield with common-mode chokes (ferrite or
coiled-coax) although the manual I saw during the test said not to use a balun
for some reason - that may have changed.

I agree with whoever said to avoid quads in Alaska - unless you like rebuilding
antennas :-)

Check with other KL7s in your area as to what they have put up that makes it
through the storms and gives adequate performance on the air.  In extreme
weather environments, there are more requirements than just gain to worry about.

73, Ward N0AX