[TowerTalk] If you had a choice

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] If you had a choice
From: Bill Ogden <ogden@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 12:38:40 -0400
In the discussion of a quad versus a yagi: there is another factor. I had
a Cubex quad (5 band, 2 element) for several years. It performed very well
on all bands (with separate feeds via a coax switch for each band)  (and
did seem quieter than other antennas, although I know there debate whether
this effect is real). I assume the 4 element version would be even better.
 However, in my opinion they are much more difficult to work with in a
physical sense. A quad exists in 3 dimensions whereas a yagi exists in 2
dimensions.  You can lay the yagi on the ground, for example, but you
cannot do this with the quad. When maintenance is needed you may have a
problem --- unless you have long-term access to a "cherry picker" truck or
something similar.

 I eventually sold mine and went to a yagi (SteppIR).  (It also required
maintenance, a new motor for the driven element, possibly due to shorted
control cables, etc.  It was a bit messy, but at least I could lay the
antenna on the ground to take apart the elements.)

IMO, the quad would win on performance but the yagi wins on maintanance.
Your choice.

Bill
W2WO