Re: [TowerTalk] Bye Bye Birdies

To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bye Bye Birdies
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 18:52:28 -0000
Plastic owls and rubber snakes work for some folks but are not universally successful.

Ultrasonic emissions have a much higher success record. Ultrasonic waves are easy to "beam" directionally which permits a ground or near ground level installation with the transducer(s) aimed up to where the birds like to perch. Aiming the sound upward keeps from disturbing the dogs and cats.

These devices are available COTS for relatively little money or easily built by the electronic savvy. Mine have lasted for many years and still work well. Some of these devices offer choices on the type of output. A randomly occurring warble tone similar to the "yelping style" public safety sirens (but of course in the ultrasonic spectrum) seems to work best. Having it come on at random intervals works best and keeps the birds from getting used to it.

Inexpensive "tweeters" of the horn variety work well, especially if the design lends itself to accepting a drain hole for water (well... it is aimed up) Alternatively an enclosure with a hard flat reflective surface to aim the beam upward will work.

I have used these for many years with great success, not only for birds but other pests as well when coupled with IR motion detector including cats and dogs who used to think my yard a public restroom and the odd skunk, raccoon, armadillo, or opossum.

Patrick AF5CK

iginal Message----- From: Jim Lux