Re: [TowerTalk] Bye Bye Deer

To: "Doug Renwick" <ve5ra@sasktel.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bye Bye Deer
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 12:04:50 -0600
I kept cats and dogs (and the postman) out of my front yard with an IR motion detector used to turn on a used dishwasher water solenoid valve between the hose bib and a RainBird sprinkler. The postman took two hits from the rainbird (consecutive days)to learn to stay on the sidewalk and not cut across the yard and through the hedge (that I was trying to grow together.) The neighbors (from a block or so away) who let their dog (while on a leash)leave "doggie love notes" on the lawn soon avoided our yard. The IR was adjusted to see the lawn from a high mounting location but not see the sidewalk. When the dog went on my grass to do his business he was detected thus turning on the sprinkler which shot a stream parallel to but not onto the sidewalk. I saw it in operation. The dog didn't get wet as it was 50 ft away before any water was squirted. The sound of the air being purged from the line scared it so bad it nearly dislocated the owners arm exiting the area. The bozo assumed the sprinkler was on a timer.

There is a commercial product that came out a few years subsequent to my Rube Goldberg contraption. It is called Rain Bird and looks like a cartoon Heckle and Jeckle type cartoon bird and runs on a 9 volt battery. I prefer home brew as the sensor and sprinkler can be remote from each other and aimed independently.

With this same approach you can turn on lights (whodathunkit) ring bells, energize sirens (ultrasonic sirens will bug the deer but not you) whatever...

Yes this has been used on deer successfully (Loud ultrasonics.) Deer are good targets for the IR motion detectors used with security lights.

Patrick

-----Original Message----- From: Doug Renwick