Re: [TowerTalk] Bye Bye Birdies

To: "Grant Saviers" <grants2@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bye Bye Birdies
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 11:43:26 -0600
I bought two kinds of COTS equipment. One was from Sharper Image catalog. I don't recall the other. This was over 20 years ago. I helped a friend build a system subsequently using Radio Shack piezo-electric horn tweeters which we drilled for drainage. This too was 20 years ago. We bread boarded a signal source using 555/556 timer chips and small power amp. I don't recall the ckt exactly but could recreate it probably from an old Signetics applications manual if provided a copy (mine faded into oblivion years ago.)

This isn't rocket surgery or brain science. You just want an ultrasonic signal high enough in frequency to not be heard by humans, say at least 22-23 KHz (I used to hear up to 21.5 KHz, yes I could hear ultrasonic alarms, bats feeding, etc.) and loud enough to be terrifically annoying to birds. Don't waste power with freqs above the tweeter's capability (maybe 30-35 KHz) I haven't looked into tweeters for ultrasonic reproduction for decades but expect them to still be readily available. A simple BUT LOUD ultrasonic signal ramped up and down annoys birds. One way to get the signal is a VCO ckt modulated by a sawtooth generator (see application notes for 555 and or 556 chip) Feed this into an amp capable of a few to several watts (you don't need mega watts to annoy birds) thence into efficient speakers with ultrasound capability (used to be cheap at Radio Shack as Hi-Fi tweeter horns)

Additional sophistication is to use an IR motion detector to turn the unit on (like a security light ckt energizing your power supply. It worked for cats and dogs but isn't always reliable for birds. At least the ones I tried (way back when) were not always sensitive enough for small birds. Larger birds will likely be "seen." Here is where you look into circuits like those used for safety purposes on your automatic garage door opener. If you break the LED beam you are detected or put another timer stasge in it and have it turn on for several seconds then off for a while and back on. A duty cycle of say 10% should be plenty say on for 6 seconds and off for 54 or whatever you like. The trick is to not just turn it on for long periods as the feathered nuisances can get used to just about anything steady state. Something coming on LOUD every little while has a good startle effect. Pseudo random sequence would be terrific if your skill is up to it.

Need more info? Try Google first then if you really are stuck for ideas, ask here again.

Patrick

-----Original Message----- From: Grant Saviers