[TowerTalk] US Tower HDX-689 Sheave replacement

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] US Tower HDX-689 Sheave replacement
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 00:48:31 -0700
US Tower HDX-689 Sheave replacement

The UST HD-689 uses aprx  22 pulleys in total.   All are aluminum, with an
internal bearing.
If the bearing is trashed, the soft aluminum pulley is probably trashed too.
No point in replacing
a bearing, and still use the trashed al pulley.   If the pulley is worm down,
you are better off to
just replace both the pulley and bearing.

I think it was dino that was telling me  last year that each pulley/bearing
assy was aprx $150.00   EACH.
The story I got was that UST makes the aluminum pulleys in house, and presses
the bearings into place too.

You might want to keep any debris/gunk off of any of the lift cables, or it
will get ground into the soft aluminum
pulleys.   I’d keep the cables well lubricated with  that gunk that k7lxc
recommends to use.  The local shipyards
use the same stuff..and they buy it in 55 gallon drums.

Jim  VERF