Re: [TowerTalk] Ground rod

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground rod
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 00:24:33 -0400
On 7/16/2013 11:45 PM, David Gilbert wrote:

Please explain why.  I understand why the rebar should not penetrate the
soil/concrete interface, but I don't understand at all why a copper wire
shouldn't.

It allows moisture to migrate along the wire/concrete interface reducing the effectiveness if it doesn't connect to the rebar. If connected to the rebar, moisture will also migrate along it causing corrosion.

I have seen photos on the net of broken concrete , claiming the moisture caused steam to form from the strike. I do not know if that was the case or not. It'll take someone a bit more knowledgeable than me to answer that which is a bit controversial.

73

Roger (K8RI)

73,
Dave   AB7E