Re: [TowerTalk] Remote Ham Radio

To: "'Richard Solomon'" <dickw1ksz@gmail.com>, "'Tower Talk'" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Remote Ham Radio
From: "Wes Attaway \(N5WA\)" <wesattaway@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 21:12:45 -0500
I don't think you are making a contact over the Internet.

You are getting access to a station via the Internet but the contact is made
via a transceiver and antenna.  Everything about the QSO is the same as if
you were physically sitting at the remote operating position.

As Tim Duffy points out, these stations can be considered to be "extreme"
and be in a different category but that is simply a choice of the rules
people.  If a human was physically sitting in the remote shack and made the
same number of contacts would the station be placed in an "extreme"
category?

I can't see how a human on site would necessarily do better or worse than
someone sitting 5,000 miles away but using exactly the same operating
techniques via a broadband connection.

If I had a remote station and had a keyer with a 10,000 foot cord running to
the radio and a 10,000 foot cord running back to a speaker would I be
violating a rule (other than common sense)?

1138 Waters Edge Circle, Shreveport, LA 71106
    318-797-4972 (Office) - 318-393-3289 (Cell)
        Computer Consulting and Forensics