[TowerTalk] Site Elevation and TOA

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Site Elevation and TOA
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 17:46:49 -0400
I'm trying to locate land in south GA for a remote Internet station.  Two
self-supporting towers are ready for installation.  Tower #1 is 140 ft and
Tower #2 is 100 ft.  A full-size, 4L 40m monoband Yagi goes on the top of tower
#1.  A 30m-10m LPDA goes on tower #2.  Siting has become a lot harder than I
imagined.  Here are my siting constraints:

1) Low noise in the immediate area;
2) Easy utility power access;
3) High speed data access over FTTH or CATV.  No DSL unless I really get
desperate.  Too many future applications will need the extra throughput;
4) High land that either remains flat for the TOA distance or slopes downward.
5) Land that fits within the project budget.

Sounds easy. Way harder than you think -- unless a home goes up on the property
and I move there where I have more options due to the higher price of
properties.  Moreover, many counties won't allow a telecom shelter or other
structure as a primary use without first establishing a residence through
placement a house or manufactured home.  I don't want that.  I want a remote
site only.  My main focus is Brantley County, GA.  There's no zoning in the
county.  There's also super-high-speed fiber supplied to the entire rural
county by the local telco.  The telco bet big and lost when they assumed a
housing market explosion in 2005 that turned into an implosion.  Along the
county highways are dozens of started subdivisions that are now ghost towns.
Cheap land, but the developers recorded much of it early on with deed
restrictions.  Once just a few owners take possession, changing the covenants
is a nightmare.  It's one thing to take up the cause when you already own the
land.  It
 's insane to consider restricted land when you're looking to buy from the
start.

After looking at dozens of parcels, I've found a few that might work.  Here's
my question: In terms of wavelength, at what distance is the TOA set for
elevated, horizontal antennas?  I realize that the TOA is composed of near,
intermediate and far fields above elevation, but there must be a distance where
say...90% of the predicted TOA occurs.  What is that distance in wavelengths
from the antenna?

Paul, W9AC