Re: [TowerTalk] Site Elevation and TOA

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Site Elevation and TOA
From: Bill via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 07:31:24 -0400 (EDT)
In the past N6BV has been kind enough to supply me the "numbers"  for my
QTH using his wizardry to generate them in a few minutes and then ship me  the
files.

His files went up to about 14000 feet, and his reasoning was beyond  that
the effects are minimal.  I would imagine this is true except in  extreme
cases.

I strongly recommend EVERYONE who is contemplating putting up a  tower
(except those who live on a table top terrain)  do the HFTA  thing.

Even here in fairly flat FL, where my dropoff to the NE is about 95  feet
over a 1000 ft distance, the difference in takeoff angle compared  to flat
ground is significant.   My terrain at KH6 was  such that it precluded me from
putting up tribanders higher than around 90-95  feet, even though they were
mounted on a 150 foot tower.  Who would have  guessed anything higher than
95 feet would not have worked as well on 20 on an  8000 mile path to EU?
Thanks to HFTA, I knew.

I have used Dean's program on both of my stations and if the time  ever
comes to build another, I'll do it again.

Bill K4XS/KH7XS