Re: [TowerTalk] 10 throu 20 beam traps or no traps

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 10 throu 20 beam traps or no traps
From: <n0tt1@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 21:22:26 +0000
I once had a 4el 20-15-10 homebrew Quad, built from
a QST article back in the early 70's/late 60's.  It was a
real performer.  (Yeah, yeah subjective, etc etc.)  The
only problems were that I didn't use large enough
AL tubing for the spreaders (1" irrigation) and not
large enough solid copper wire (#14).  All on a 3" AL
boom.  The spreaders were broken up with Delrin
insulators.

Yes!  I had a tilt-over tower and a 10ft step ladder for
maintenance.  Still have those.

I took it down in 1983 after a severe ice storm and replaced
it with a TH7DXX which is still up.  No issues except that the
20m section resonates up in the phone band with 1:1 SWR
and I don't use phone if I can avoid it.

If I decide to build another quad, I would use something like 1.5" tubes
to start off with and #12 copper-weld wire and use solid HDPE
for the insulators, drilling tiny holes in the AL tubes where needed
to allow condensate to drain.

73,
Charlie, N0TT