Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Installtion Question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Installtion Question
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 15:09:52 -0500
Don't ignore that this is in hurricane country. The requirements do not appear to be out of line to me.

BTW, I've had several of the "generic", self supporting, Aluminum towers. I doubt all of that era were constructed as shoddily, but I'd not have trusted any of them to support more than a big TV antenna in a "mild" wind.. The "alloy?" was almost dead soft. a 150-170# climber could easily distort the cross braces. No way would I climb one of those. I could pick up one of these 32 foot towers with one hand and do the equivalent of a one handed press (fully extending the arm and then lowering the tower back to my shoulder) 10 times when I was 65. The most difficult part is keeping the tower balanced and fairly level.

Any of the small, self supporting Aluminum towers that come in 8' sections with the joints looking like they are upside down should be inspected very carefully. (and TESTED)

73

Roger (K8RI)

---