[TowerTalk] Hardline - Direct Bury or Conduit ?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hardline - Direct Bury or Conduit ?
From: N3AE <n3ae@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 22:14:31 +0000 (UTC)
Hello fellow Towertalkers,

Hopefully spring is around the corner and I can pick up work again on my tower
project. I plan to make two 150 ft runs of LDF5-50A from the house SPG to the
base of the tower. Trying to decide if I should run the hardline in conduit or
just direct-bury. Soil around here is clay mixed with some sand. Rare to find a
rock, and if I do it's small stream gravel with smooth edges.. Part of the run
is through a wooded area.

A conduit run would have some low spots (potential for moisture accumulation
??). But I worry about critters (moles/voles/etc) chewing on the jacket if I
direct-bury.

Anyone have a bad experience from direct bury of Andrew hardline? Rodent
damage? Crushing damage due to lawn tractors, etc? Something else?

thx

Shawn
N3AE