Re: [TowerTalk] antenna choices

To: towertalk@contesting.com <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] antenna choices
From: Charlie Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 19:11:14 -0400
On 4/10/2015 Bry Carling AF4K wrote:

> For a creative and energetic person the market is there to be taken in the
> MID-priced
> antennas these days whether you believe it or not. The average ham is NOT
> spending
> $2,000 for a beam. Deny it all you want.

You  forgot  one  MAJOR  cost  -  Insurance!   Your  antenna  that you
certified  to have a wind loading of X, and a wind survival of Y comes
down  in  a  storm,  or even worse, is on a tower that comes down in a
storm.   The  lawyer  has HIS engineer calculate the wind load, and it
comes  to  .001%  more  than  what  you  stated,  -  "My clients tower
collapsed,  falling  on his neighbor's house, killing his wife, and it
was because the antenna was .001% over size"

Insurance isn't cheap

--
73 de KG2V - Charles Gallo
Quality Custom Machine-shop work for the radio amateur (sm)

www.baysidephoto.com
www.thegallos.com