[TowerTalk] G5RV vs 40M dipole

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] G5RV vs 40M dipole
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 08:19:41 -0700
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 20:10:51 -0400
From: Bry Carling <bcarling@cfl.rr.com>
To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] G5RV vs 40M dipole

I'm not a fan of fan dipoles. G5RV all the way!

Best regards - Brian Carling
AF4K Crystals Co.
117 Sterling Pine St.
Sanford, FL 32773

##  I have yet to see the infamous G5RV actually work worth a damn on 80m....
using the 102 foot long version.   Everybody here on the west coast that uses
one on 80m
is down several db from folks using full size 80m dipoles or inverted vees.

##  You now how a 40m dipole works on its 3rd harmonic ..on 40M .   That’s what
a 102 ft long
G5RV was originally intended for....to work on its  3rd harmonic...on 20m.  It
was originally a 20m
monoband ant.

##  If you look at inovate ants in the UK.... who also bought out F12, they
make a rotary  dipole
for 20-15-10 M.   Only the 20M portion is fed with coax + balun.  The other two
bands are parasiticly
coupled.  IE:  open sleeve.  http://www.innovantennas.com/despole-benefits.html

##  I highly suspect that not all the dipoles in a fan dipole have to be
directly tied to the balun / coax.

Jim  VE7RF