Re: [TowerTalk] Max antenna weight

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Max antenna weight
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 04:20:05 -0500
My experience with the HDR rotators was not good. They depend on limit switches for rotation stops. 2 HDRs in just a couple of months. One was used, but worked fine. OTOH Several of us could not remove the mast clamp. I eventually had to cut it off. As it was heavy cast, that put it beyond a cutting torch. It was before I had the plasma torch. I gave both away.

Then again, I have little faith in rotators that use wedge brakes and tiny little motors with a huge gear ratio. I did not have the big array torque balanced. I released the brake and the wind took it past the stops before I could stop it with the motor. It tore up 5 rotator loops. Once the wind was turning the array, I could not stop it with the motor.
Having said that, I do have a Ham IV for a modest sized C19XR.

I'd not use one except for torque balanced antennas, or relatively small arrays that are difficult to balance. Put a wrench on most of these rotators, release the brake and you can easily turn the rotator. Many can be done with your bare hands sans wrench. Be careful if you try this. A screw-up can cost you broken fingers, or worse, particularly if there is a mistake in the wiring, or the limit switches fail.

Just my opinion based on one set of antennas.
As for units, most of us relate to ft lbs rather than inches, although for some the metric system is easier. As Jim pointed out, converting that big number based on inches to ft lbs, can be rather revealing.

73

Roger (K8RI)