Re: [TowerTalk] Can´t add egg insulator...

To: David Robbins <k1ttt@arrl.net>, 'reflector -tower' <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Douglas Ruz (CO8DM)" <co8dm@frcuba.co.cu>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Can´t add egg insulator...
From: "J. Hunt via TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 17:13:53 +0000 (UTC)
Sorry - I disagree.

Reason, I have a side mounted antenna, whenever it somewhat faces a guy cable,
the SWR goes up and performance goes down.
Using non-resonate guy cables is also mentioned within many  ARRL handbooks and
general RF engineering books.

Using galvanized steel cables is important, verses non-galvanized cable.
Future developing corrosion will result in RX noise and TX interference.

Using solid wire is not recommended due eventual fatigue and breakage.  A
multiple strand of galvanized cable provides flexibility and corrosion
prevention.

I have replaced many rusted out guy cable sets over the years on other peoples
towers.  A rusted cable is a genuine noise generator.

My personal tower utilizes 1/4" and 3/16" EHS galvanized steel cable.

Towers that I install use 1/4" and 3/16" EHS galvanized steel cable and/or
Phillystran.

Thank you,
James
ki5dq