Re: [TowerTalk] F12 C19XR Rivets

To: Tom_N2SR <tom_n2sr@yahoo.com>, towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] F12 C19XR Rivets
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 19:28:52 -0500
I believe welding would destroy the temper and is subject to Hydrogen embrittlement, making it likely that the elements would fail unless there were a reinforcement inside that would not be heated. OTOH, if they were swedged together? Like SS in intimate contact with no lube they tend to weld themselves. I have two boom sections where either the inside piece is a tiny bit too large or the outside a bit small. They went together kinda tight, but the only way thy will ever come apart is to cut the outside one off.
An easier one might be to use conductive epoxy?
I think I'll stick with rivets and screws.

Note, there is one thing that has bothered me about rivets and screws. For element strength they need to be far enough back from the end of outer tube to prevent the holes from substantially weakening the joint. How might this affect the electrical length?

How about a banding tool using 3/8ths or 1/2" SS bands on split tubes.

73

Roger  (K8RI)