Re: [TowerTalk] F12 C19XR Rivets

To: "ve4xt@mymts.net" <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] F12 C19XR Rivets
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 22:13:20 -0500
Joint conductivity is a bit of thread drift. The OP (Me) was talking about mechanically repairing antennas. The C19XR to be more specific, so no, I did not address the conductivity issue, but stayed with the mechanical. I appreciate the thread drift as it exposed weaknesses in many designs, or certainly things to be aware of when making changes to the original manufacturer's designs.

The rivet close to the end of the joint is a weak spot mechanically, but I suspect it was directly related to age and electrical length. All elements I have disassembled had clean Aluminum right up to the end of the outer tube in line with the rivets. To me this points out the validity of the design able to maintain the electrical length after many years. I've never found a loose, blind pop river

It was a C3i design that had the solder fail, not F12. Again, this is a mechanical issue and was addressed in the assembly instructions by using multiple coats of clear Krylon spray. Unfortunately, clear Krylon does not weather well and is gone within a year. Although not as pretty, several coats liquid electrical tape works far better and lasts for years. I'd guess that Silastic RTV, of either type would also work. Being a relatively thin coat, out in the air, the Acetic Acid soon evaporates although a purist would use the non acetic type.

Why did the lead/tin solder dissolve? Either it was acid rain, or more likely being the tallest object around the corona with the presence of clean/pure water leached atoms from the solder

The ability to survive rough handling, again is Germain to the original post. Antennas are relatively large and fragile. How many have had elements bent or broken during installation?

Swedging tubing on site also has problems other than the lack of accessibility. Like welding it changes the temper, but unlike welding it does not remove the temper, it hardens the tubing.

Often, tubing used in antennas is already tempered through drawing, so swedging makes it even harder, often producing wrinkles. At first, additional hardness makes the tube more brittle and the swedged section is the only mechanical connection between elements. Good, or bad? It depends on the specific installation, but is one method for a rapid taper OTOH there are few chances for "do overs" when a tube is swedged down on site.

Very often the split tube with the SS hose clamp is less than optimal as too large a clamp is often used, while the smaller clamps are easy to strip. The smaller hose clamps fit around the tube, but the larger ones only contact a third to a half of tube circumference. Often there is room for two of the smaller clamps.

The mechanical challenges for large antennas are more demanding than for typical tribanders, VHF antennas and up.

Many hams are only interested in the electronics or digital communications, rather than mechanical construction and many of these are not what most of us would call mechanically inclined.

73

Roger (K8RI)