Re: [TowerTalk] AES SK

To: Ian White <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>, jim@audiosystemsgroup.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AES SK
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 19:26:56 -0700
More OT & re at least a related technology: Long ago, I was involved with the DEC core memory design and core making. Core making was an "interesting" operation since the only the "bakers" knew the magic for getting good cores. Actually only about 30% of every batch was any good. The good news was the bad cores got ball milled with the next batch of raw materials, then isostatically pressed, fired, ground up again, pressed again, fired, and finally ground into press-able powder, pressed in carbide dies, fired, and 100% tested. We made billions all for DEC systems and were the last systems supplier to offer core memory, since real time systems customers loved never having to wait and wait for a reboot after a power failure. The last generation cores were 0.012" OUTside diameter and the all women core stringers in Taiwan put three wires through each of those tiny donuts. And our core memory was cheaper to make than DRAMs until after the MOSTEK 64k chip hit its volume pricing valley. Our ferrite "bakers" were really world class. DEC bought (cheap) the RCA core memory operation when RCA exited the computer business in 1971.

When one considers ferrite core memory technology it is a wonder it worked at all - half select noise, temperature sensitivity, aging, stress effects, magnetostriction, etc were large engineering and process control challenges. At least cosmic rays didn't bother it and it didn't forget and it was the technology that made computers as we know them possible.

Grant KZ1W