Re: [TowerTalk] AES SK

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AES SK
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 14:29:15 -0400
Yup!

Those countries are heavy in STEM degrees, while we are heavy in what are basically useless degrees. Degrees in science? Those are too hard, so they opt for the easy stuff and still end up with mediocre grades. Still the powers that be, harp on that difference in earnings potential a degree brings. Of course they'll gladly loan those same, unsuited for college students, money that easy degree will never be capable of paying off. Can't get a job with a Bachelor's degree? Just borrow more money for an advanced degree in the same field. More debt and still no job. A course on money management (with good grades) should be required for any college entrance. Teach them how not to live on credit. That's never gonna happen!

When we were young, the goals were degrees in Chemistry, Physics, EE, Chem E, or teaching. Hobbies tended to be oriented toward the sciences. Most colleges had ham radio clubs. Now days a Bachelor's degree only gives the student the tools to learn a profession once hired. Hence, with degrees, but no practical experience, jobs are difficult to find.

Locally, the hams are getting involved, starting, electronics, science, Astronomy, and ham clubs. Kids are flocking to these clubs.(some advisors are retired PHDs who have a love for learning) Some are earning their ham tickets. I should point out, that Midland, MI and the surrounding area is highly science oriented with lots of PHDs in chemistry and physics. Hundreds of chemical and electrical engineering jobs. So the kids get a taste of these sciences through these clubs that make learning fun instead of something to be endured. They explore fields ignored by the standard high school courses and give them a reason to be prepared for college.

Most call centers are the starting point, or ground floor, with the techs reading from scripts. Many, "from over there" are very difficult to understand, which is a growing problem: http://www.forbes.com/sites/johntamny/2011/04/16/india-and-the-economic-folly-of-a-college-degree/#681f7f981d9a

73

Roger (K8RI)