Re: [TowerTalk] AES SK

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AES SK
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 14:42:14 -0700
On Mon,7/11/2016 11:57 AM, Wes Attaway (N5WA) wrote:
Maybe it is time for the thread to die but I think it has been pretty
interesting from the standpoint of the numerous real-world experiences
several of the guys have related.

Yes, it has been quite interesting. One thing I'd like to point out is that certain regulations imposed by federal and local governments are there to protect local residents from abuse by businessmen. I was born and raised in WV, my mom was born in coal country in KY and lived all her life there, my grandfather was born and raised in coal country in MD, got an EE from Pratt Institute, and spent all of his working life as an EE in the mines in WV and KY.

Those coal companies badly abused the people who worked for them in the form of truly awful and unsafe working conditions, and the people who lived there by destroying the beautiful mountains, and destroyed streams by discharging poisonous byproducts of their operations into those streams. I've read of similar abuses by the mining of coal, gold, silver, copper, and other minerals in the Rockies. We all know about the poisoning of the air by the failure to reasonably treat combustion byproducts.

The abuses of these companies, while increasing their profits, do so at the expense of the people who live there, the insurance companies and governments who pay for medical care for those who are sickened by the abuse. And as citizens, we all pay for the abuse in the form of higher taxes and/or higher insurance premiums.

So SOME regulations are VERY necessary. Certainly regulation of those bankers and Wall Street tycoons that caused millions to lose their homes and life saving is necessary.

FWIW, California, where I've lived for 10 years, is well known for pretty tough environmental regulations, but it hasn't hurt the economy here at all. California has a very solid economy, and recovered from the 2008 financial crisis much sooner than most of the rest of the country.

These are not (or at least should not be) partisan political issues, they are HUMAN issues.

73, Jim K9YC