Re: [TowerTalk] LMR600 male DIN

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR600 male DIN
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2016 18:54:30 -0400
Connectors *can* be waterproof (those that have internal gaskets). However experience tells us there is no guarantee that they are, and that's the rub. So commercial practice is to always add additional weatherproofing.

Every now and then a carrier will approve a non tape/butyl method such as cold shrink or the latest variety of hard plastic clamshells, but the experiment usually ends in failure. The holy grail is anything that allows *easy* maintenance (easy being anything easier than cutting away and re-applying a football sized mass of butyl and tape.

We were instrumental in getting double layer heatshrink approved by one of the biggie carriers, but they later disapproved it because of widespread jacket damage caused by too much heat. The average installer is a little below average.

This same carrier still approves a layer of high stretch rubber or silicone tape topped by vinyl tape. This is the method I prefer in almost all cases. Very quick to remove, quick enough to apply, and very effective.

-Steve K8LX