[TowerTalk] LMR600 male DIN - baluns, coax and grounding immediately

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] LMR600 male DIN - baluns, coax and grounding immediately
From: "StellarCAT" <rxdesign@ssvecnet.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 10:51:11 -0400
and more than likely ANYTHING you had done to waterproof the connectors including water proof connectors would have failed with a direct hit. Just because a connector might be water proof doesn't make them a magic energy sink capable of thousands of joules... Grounding the shell at the top and bottom (and middle if over ~75') which is what I plan on doing is probably the best thing - and I'm sure you had that as well.

Indeed therein lies a problem - how to do this AND seal it ... at the base I'll have a box on the tower so that connection is inside (metal box with a separate connection from the inside to the tower as well). All of the antennas but one are hairpin matches so it will be DC grounded through that at the antenna and the 2 switch boxes (stacking and then antenna select) will accomplish two more grounding points ... the 4 element Optibeam 40 will need a think through.... and the rotary 80/75 dipole at the top - its hairpin is a coil and is not grounded ... hmmmm....

that brings up a question: Does having a balun at the antenna - assume a good one - allow one to ground the shield of the coax to the tower immediately ... i.e. say the DE is out 20' ... there is a balun there ... can one have another connection at the tower and have that connection shell grounded - does the balun make this possible? I believe I know the answer (and I'm trying not to get in to the QUALITY and capability of the balun) ... but would like to hear from the experts - K9YC?

Gary
K9RX

-----Original Message----- From: Roger (K8RI) on TT