Re: [TowerTalk] torque arms or not?

To: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] torque arms or not?
From: Guy Olinger <k2av@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2017 20:03:15 -0500
Did a little more digging into hurricane Isabel.

Gusts were measured in the Norfolk area up to 74 mph, which compared
to other hurricanes may seem tame. At landfall, Isabel was a category
2, but was geographically very large, and at one point a category 5.
K4JA's QTH was on the western side of Chesapeake Bay, with the
hurricane's incoming winds direct over water for some 10 miles. This
meant that incoming winds had little to no attenuation from ground
clutter at K4JA QTH, probably for most of the wind directions
experienced.

It did cause a lot of damage in eastern North Carolina, Virginia and
Maryland. Here's the damage and consequences enumeration just from the
state of Virginia. Ref:
http://www.vaemergency.gov/news-local/hurricane-history/

Hurricane Isabel, Sept. 18, 2003 (figures from Sept. 18, 2003 through
April 30, 2004)

Localities declared major disaster areas: 100.
Fatalities: 32.
Total damages (not including economic losses): $1.9 billion.
Homes destroyed: 1,124.
Businesses destroyed: 77.
Homes damaged: 9,027.
Businesses damaged: 1,400.
Total amount of debris: 20 million cubic yards (equals 200,000 football fields).
Dump trucks used to haul debris: more than 660,000.
Water delivered to localities 1.5 million gallons.
Meals served: 1.4 million.
Ice delivered to localities: 6 million pounds.
Generators provided to localities: 150.
Calls received at the Virginia Public Inquiry Center: 6,000.
People who registered with FEMA for assistance: 93,000.

Recovery Assistance

Housing assistance (home repair, rental assistance): $33 million.
Other Needs assistance (personal property, medical, transportation,
miscellaneous): $22 million.
Small Business Administration loans: $79 million.
Mitigation: $15 million.

Public Assistance (state agencies, local government, utilities)

Debris removal: $179 million ($50 million of that for VDOT).
Total for road systems, water control, public buildings/equipment,
public utility systems, and parks and recreation: $36 million.
For state agencies: $25 million.
Federal Highway: $30 million.
Total for all public assistance: $270 million.

In that context, it's not terribly surprising that some ham towers came down.

73, Guy K2AV