Re: [TowerTalk] torque arms or not?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] torque arms or not?
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2017 11:59:33 -0800
On 1/8/17 11:39 AM, Keith Dutson wrote:
Most hams I know are using star guying to avoid excessive twisting when the
heavy Yagi stops rotation.  I use the bracket from Norn.

Is that because of "nice to have" or is there an actual structural reason. I wouldn't think the number of twist cycles is such that it would cause fatigue failure, and if you make the tower more "rigid", then the stopping forces on the brake and rotator housing are higher (maybe.. the "jerk" might be higher, but the actual torque might be the same)

As Mike says, for a high gain dish, with a beamwidth measured in degrees or fractions, you need the tower to be rigid enough to keep the pointing loss reasonable. But for HF Yagis, the beam width is 10s of degrees (if not 60-70 degrees), so a few degrees of twist is a non issue.

In these "cable stayed truss" structures you don't want them too rigid, because that potentially causes stress concentrations in some parts of the structure. (piano wire and rope in parallel problem: the piano wire takes more and more of the load as the total load increases)
But, nor do you want it so floppy it isn't controllable.

73, Keith NM5G