Re: [TowerTalk] Home Weather Station

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Home Weather Station
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 10:31:18 -0700
On Wed,6/14/2017 7:14 AM, GALE STEWARD via TowerTalk wrote:
I'm considering a home weather station for in the radio room. This thread has
been discussed before (?) but I wasn't interested at that time.
Obviously this unit would need to work in an environment of a legal limit
station.
I am thinking that I would prefer a wireless system but I could do wired if
necessary.
Wireless products like this run at VHF, typically around 300 MHz, but can also run higher. Most QRM to/from such systems are coupled by WIRING connected to sources and victims. This is especially true at MF and HF. Thus, a system with no wires is FAR less likely to be a source or victim for operation below about 60 MHz. For most wireless systems, the only wiring is the power supply, and that ought to be choked anyway to prevent RF noise on the ham bands if that PSU is a switch-mode supply (as most are). If that choke is "right" for noise, it will also "right" for interference from the ham station to the unit.

I have two different inexpensive wireless WX stations (about $30 from Costco), one for the house and another for the shack. No QRM at all. I run legal limit 160-10M, 550W on 6M. Specific recommendations for chokes are in http://k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf

73, Jim K9YC