Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning
From: "Kenneth Goodwin" <krgoodwin@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 09:21:17 -0500
This is my experience also having had my 80-foot tower for 38 years.  I've
had three 'excess energy' experiences: one was a direct hit to a nearby pine
tree 100 feet from the tower and the other two came thru the cable line.
The tower has never been touched.  After the first cable system excess
energy hit, I installed a high frequency, gas discharge device and still
experienced some damage the second time but just to the USB and serial ports
associated with my station.  Since that event, I've installed an industrial
surge protected USB hub for all I/O lines that I can easily disconnect.  The
station is on a single point ground system with every line coming into the
shack on some sort of protector and the house has a surge protector at the
breaker box.  Mr. Lamb has it correct, your cable/Internet/telephone lines
are the highest incident probability.  But I will add one more piece of
advice, "You can't fool Mother Nature".  Disconnecting everything has now
become my modus operandi even with the substantial investment in protection
devices in addition to an ARRL equipment insurance policy.  Unlike many
years past, you don't have to insure your entire station but just specific
listed equipment.  When the Rohn SSV tower had to be part of the insurance
policy, it was expensive.  The ARRL policy today is just a simple marine
insurance policy with the amount of insurance specified by the user.  If you
lose a piece of equipment, you'll be paid the amount you insured, no
questions asked.  The insurance rates are simply $$ per value insured.

Message: 4