Re: [TowerTalk] Teflon Coax with Center That's NOT SCCCS?

To: "'Paul Christensen'" <w9ac@arrl.net>, "'towertalk reflector'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Teflon Coax with Center That's NOT SCCCS?
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@largeriver.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 22:56:58 -0600
I concur with Paul.
I have been doing this for over 40 years with one exception.

Rather than soldering the braid and then trimming it after soldering I found
that trimming the braid with a pair of electricians scissors so that nothing
hangs over the end of the adaptor works best. Trim and then comb the
remaining braid with a small pick so that no strands overlap each other then
trim again as some will still be sticking out after combing.
Then solder the braid to the end of the adaptor. Sometimes a file may be
needed to get rid of any excess solder.

The braid is prepped the same way that you would with a clamp on N
connector.

Screw the adaptor and cable into the PL259 and tighten the adaptor with two
pairs of pliers. No more soldering needed on the adaptor other than the
center conductor.
If ever needed the center conductor can be unsoldered and the connector can
be taken apart for inspection.

73
Gary  K4FMX