Re: [TowerTalk] Wires in trees

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wires in trees
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 22:37:34 -0800
As it happens, there's an interesting technical article in Feb 2018 QST that landed in my mailbox today.

The executive summary -- trees can cause considerable loss in vertical antennas. The closer the wire is the tree, the greater the loss. More trees => more loss.

I live in a dense redwood forest. Except for 160M, where all my antennas are verticals, all my antennas for bands above 160M are horizontal, either dipoles or Yagis. I've tried verticals on HF, and all perform miserably. On 160, the verticals outperformed a horizontal dipole at 120 ft by a lot, but the article predicts that the trees are sucking up a lot of their radiated RF, and my on-air experience suggests that's probably right.

The article does not address horizontal antennas and trees.

73, Jim K9YC