Re: [TowerTalk] Wires in trees

To: "'Steve Boone'" <w7wm.boone@gmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wires in trees
From: "Wes Attaway \(N5WA\)" <wesattaway@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 08:35:43 -0600
>From personal experience (years ago; am not on 160 now) I can attest to the
fact that a vertical antenna "wire" within 20 or so feet of a large Pine
tree will be affected.  In my case, the effect was to cause the tuning to be
quite a bit broader than it would have been without the nearby tree.  I had
quite a few big Pines in the vicinity (most were over 100' tall and 3 or
4-feet in diameter at the base) but only one was real close to the vertical.
The vertical wire was hung from a Pine tree limb about 70' off the ground.

However, I worked 157 countries on 160 using that arrangement so I guess the
situation was not all bad.  Hey ..... I could QSY anywhere in the band
without retuning!

In your situation, I would suggest that you proceed as planned and just do
the best you can.  Put the antenna up and get on the air and continue to
think of alternatives as you are making some QSOs.  If you spend too much
time worrying you won't ever get on the band.

Wes Attaway (N5WA)
(318) 393-3289 - Shreveport, LA
Computer/Cellphone Forensics
AttawayForensics.com