Re: [TowerTalk] Wires in trees

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wires in trees
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 05:48:34 -0800
On 1/22/18 10:24 PM, Steve Boone wrote:
This is a topic that I have never seen addressed and Google has not
revealed any similar situations:

I am installing a quarter wave, 160m inverted-L between a 40' Ponderosa
Pine and my tower. The first 30' of the antenna will run parallel to the
tree trunk and through the branches. I am using copper coated wire for the
element. I have four elevated radials at the 10' level.

My concern is whether I need to worry about contact between the wire and
the tree. With the very low humidity that we get during Colorado summers, I
am wondering if there is a fire danger here.

I will be running a 1.5 kW.

yes - high voltage at the ends of the elements is more than sufficient to cause sparks (through the insulation)

You're doing the high current part close to the tree, so that helps, but I'd make sure that the wire is supported so that branches don't touch it and stay clear a few inches (esp the dead needles on the tree) The voltage is (at a maximum) a few kilovolts, so it's not like it's going to jump a 1 foot gap.

Thanks,

-Steve, W7WM