Re: [TowerTalk] add a 3rd el to 40-2cd

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] add a 3rd el to 40-2cd
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 15:40:30 -0400

On 3/13/2018 1:19 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> I agree with all of Bob's post, taking into account that he's talking
> about 40M. Steve may have been thinking of higher bands, for which his
> advice is quite good.

Jim is correct here ... 72' is a half wave on 40 meters.  Stacking a
second antenna at half that height would put the lower antenna at *one*
*quarter wave* above ground.  The lower antenna would have its maximum
lobe nearly straight up - exactly where the top antenna has its null.

The stacked pair, with 1/4 wave spacing, will have significant mutual
coupling (pattern distortion and SWR issues) and will show little if
any gain from stacking.  Now, if one were talking about 140' and 70'
(or even 120' and 60') that would be a whole different ballgame.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV