Re: [TowerTalk] N connector, Re: UHF (PL259) soldered center

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] N connector, Re: UHF (PL259) soldered center
From: Jeff Blaine <KeepWalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 13:12:07 -0500
While one can argue as to the absolute need for a DIN vs. other connector type, I'm pretty sure that everyone who has used DIN will confirm - a DIN is a vedddddyyyyy great connector.

I hate N connectors because the reliability of that connector depends on getting the center pin aligned lengthwise in the connector shell perfectly.  Too far in and it will not seat properly.  Too far out and it will split the female mate.  Of the 100 UHF and 50 DIN I put up last year, it's one of the 6 or so N connectors on the entire site which has given me trouble.  I'm sure a guy with more experience would say N works just fine.  But UHF and DIN are harder to screwup by comparison at least in my limited experience.

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com