Re: [TowerTalk] N connector, Re: UHF (PL259) soldered center

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] N connector, Re: UHF (PL259) soldered center
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2018 22:02:31 -0400
Not really, they're both rated for -165 dBc, or something like that.

BUT, the 4.3-10 IS supposedly less dependent on accurate tightening with a torque wrench (during mating with the female connector) to achieve rated PIM results than the 7-16.

At this point in time I've done thousands of PIM tests on 7-16 based transmission systems and have not found a big issue with inaccurate torquing of the connector in the mating process, as long as it's been tightened....well, good & tight. Problems are usually related to improper installation of the connector onto the cable itself. Center conductor too short, shield too short, improper coring, metal debris left behind, etc.

Surprisingly, some of the worst problems have been with certain runs of factory made jumpers, the manufacturer to remain nameless.

-Steve K8LX