Re: [TowerTalk] Big Rak and HDX-555

To: towertalk@contesting.com, jimw7ry@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Big Rak and HDX-555
From: k7lxc--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 12:11:10 -0400

>  I have an older OR2800 with the M2 controller. Used it with N1MM and never
>had an issue of any kind with the rotor or controller.

>  It works great! I had it on a TH7 with a XM240 above it on a 70' Rohn 45.

>  Stock mast clamp. NEVER did it slip in the 14 years I had it up.

> I'm puzzled why you would think the mast clamp and controller are junk?

    Color you lucky. I've installed dozens of Orions over the years and the
vast majority of them have slipped. And slipped.

    The first problem is that the surface is dimpled. Eventually the dimples
get pounded down but when they do, it slips.

    The second problem is the worst - the total contact area of the teeth to
the mast is less than 1/16 square inch - my generous estimate. And the steel
they use is pretty soft - the teeth wear down as the mast slips over time. No
matter how tight you tighten the clamp nuts, it doesn't translate into more
grip.

    If they worked FB I wouldn't have sold several dozen of my clamps to folks
who had the aforementioned problems.

    And because my clamp uses multiple robust U-bolts, it'll accommodate
under-sized masts which the nifty and expensive K7NV clamp can't do. A customer
of mine bought the K7NV clamp and realized his mast was 2-7/8". We tried to
make the clamp work several times with limited success.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH