Re: [TowerTalk] Big Rak and HDX-555

To: towertalk@contesting.com, terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Big Rak and HDX-555
From: terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 11:54:30 -0700 (PDT)
Hi folks,

I do not have any experience with the Big Rak and/or HDX-555. But I do have
experience with a big 4/5 element 30' boom Quad array slipping on the mast of
my 50' Rohn 25 tower years back. Wrapped up and actually ruined the coax as I
recall. 9913 flex which I don't use anymore. There is nothing so frustrating in
a contest as not being sure where your antenna is pointed without going outside
to see it. Always seem to come up after midnight and in the rain.

Anyway, I have run Yaesu G-1000DXA's and had pretty good luck with them. To fix
the slipping problems which I wasn't sure if it was at the rotator or the
boom-to-mast bracket I pinned them both with a bolt thru the mast. Had avoided
this because of the danger of having a large wind area antenna making for a big
lever at the top of my tower. But it seemed to work out well. Sooner or later
if I get my second tower up I'm going to do it again. I truly hate the job of
drilling thru the mast. If I ever do that again I think I will start with a new
set of drill bits every time.

The Yaesu Clamping mechanism on the G-1000DXA seemed to work pretty well. It is
aluminum and I actually broke the first rotor unit (fractured it) but it still
worked. Seems I can be like the bull in the china shop when fighting something
like a slipping mast problem. Not exactly sure if I had it in a bind or what
but it happened...and I still have used it. Have my second or third Yaesu
G-1000DXA now so you know I like the 460 degree rotation feature and all. The
biggest problem I know of with the Yaesu rotators is getting them fixed. Unlike
the CDE/High Gain/ MFJ this can be a problem. Don't care so much for the tail
twister even though I have two but you can get parts and repair them.

Terry
KI7M